Last updated June 19, 2021
Bulgaria experienced a rough year in 2020 but thanks to the government restrictions as well as massive vaccination the infection numbers are under control and that is why the country has recently opened to some countries including the US.
Nationals of US must have:
– a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken at most 72 hours before arrival
– a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test taken at most 48 hours before arrival
– proof of recovery from Covid-19 in the form of a positive COVID-19 PCR or rapid antigen test taken at least 15 days and at most 180 days before arrival
– a COVID-19 vaccination certificate stating that they received the vaccine at least 14 days before arrival. Vaccines accepted are: AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), AZD1222 (SK Bioscience Co Ltd.), Covieshield, Janssen, Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sinopharm, Sinovac and Sputnik V.
PCR Testing for Returning Home
If you need to get tested for your journey home, whether it is required by the airline or for re-entry into the U.S. we will help you schedule that at the most convenient location possible, at the appropriate time. For re-entry to the US you need to have a negative result from a Covid-19 viral test up to 3 days before departure (not counting the day of departure, so for a flight at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.) Since May 12 2021, the CDC have approved Antigen tests for travel. Antigen tests are quicker (results in 30 minutes, not 24 hours) and cheaper (around 1/3 the price or less) than PCR tests and often more readily available. If you are flying direct back to the US, the only test you’ll need is an Antigen test. If you are transferring in another country on the way back to the US other requirements may apply. We advise to check with the airline in this case.
General COVID-19 measures to be aware of
- maintain physical distance
- maintain hand hygiene and disinfection (we will provide a personal bottle of hand sanitiser to you upon arrival)
- all persons must wear a mask that covers their mouth and nose in all indoor public spaces as well as in open public spaces where there is a crowd of people and impossibility to observe a physical distance of 1.5 m. Scarves or substitute face coverings are no longer allowed in place of a mask. (we will provide one disposable mask per day of your vacation)
Curfews and Movement Restrictions
There is no curfew in place.
Bars & Restaurants
All bars and restaurants are fully open and operating.
Cultural sites and museums are working normally, some with limited number of visitors. If you are interested in any specific sites, please let your local JayWay contact know and they will confirm the current situation a few days in advance, and help with making reservations if advised.
Shops and Beauty Services
All shops and beauty services are open with regular working hours. Shops have limitations on number of visitors depending on their size. As for beauty services (hairdressers, nail appointments, etc.) appointments must be made.
Wearing protective masks is mandatory throughout the country in public transportation.
Estimate for the Next Change in Measures
The latest changes in measures were taken on May 18th so it is expected at least another month before any further changes.